I have been recognized with a nomination for a Liebster Award by Elle from Social Anemia. From what I have gathered (here), the Liebster Awards are a concept that was thought up to spread the word about relatively small but awesome blogs that we have come across. Seems like a great idea to me, there are a lot of special voices out there that I think we would all appreciate hearing more from. As anyone who has ever tried to put legs underneath of a blog is aware of, it is no easy task to draw traffic to your words, so an effort to band together and give one another recognition is a much appreciated one.
That being said, I feel the need to insert a self-deprecating comment about my amateurish writing, and the fact that I have only posted about three times in the last year. Seriously though, I appreciate the recognition, so thanks again to Elle.
11 Things About Me (relieved that there was no indication that they should be interesting)
- I am married with a 15-month-old daughter.
- I am a huge Pittsburgh Pirates fan despite the fact that I was 11 years old when Sid Bream slid across home ushering in two decades of awful baseball to come.
- The excerpt of Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy that this blog takes it’s name from was also the subject of one of my High School communications projects. If you do the math from number 2, you can see that it has been with me for a very long time.
- Nightwing is my favorite comic book character. Something about the story of the sidekick who needs to break away and make his own mark in the world resonates with me.
- Given the occasion to buy a gift for a kid (4+), I will always make a push for buying Legos.Legos are awesome.
- Besides my blonde hair and blue eyes, I have been told that my German heritage most clearly shines through with my obsessive need to be on time for everything that I do.
- Adding item 1 to item 6 is an exercise in developing character.
- I have so many books in my house that I am pretty sure that no one will ever help me move again.
- I am possessive of all of my books save one. If you borrow a copy of Mere Christianity by CS Lewis from me, I will happily consider it lost. You can add it to your own collection.
- I’m considering adding Orthodoxy by GK Chesterton to that list.
- I started homebrewing this year, and after 5 batches I think that this is a hobby that might stick.
- Given the choice of anyone in the world whom would you want as a dinner guest and why? Not overly interesting, but I have ready access to the people that I would most like to share a meal with. My friends and family are great people to hang out with.
- What are you thankful for? It’s easy enough, but I am thankful for my family. In addition to that, I am thankful for a job where I can work from home and spend a lot of time with them.
- What is your favorite place to visit? Coopers Rock State Forest in West Virginia. A reasonably close place that I can go to get lost in nature.
- Who is your hero? GK Chesterton had a great mind and is probably the most personally satisfying writer that I have ever come across.
- Most embarrassing memory? It doesn’t stick with me every day or anything, but the TOOTBLAN is one of the more embarrassing things that can happen to a person.
- What is your favorite food? I love a good cheesesteak.
- What is your dream job? I am ill-equipped, but I would love to write for a living.
- Would you rather be an introvert or an extrovert? Why? There are some traits of the extrovert that I wouldn’t mind picking up, but I don’t think that I could change being my current introverted self.
- What do you think of selfie sticks? Blunt answer? Moronic.
- What do you really think of these questions? Mixed bag.
- What are your plans for the summer? A few household projects, and hopefully introducing my daughter to some cool new places and experiences.
11 Questions for those I nominate
- If you could ask any one person in history a single question, what would it be, and who would you ask?
- In what way are you least like the person you expected to be when you were 18?
- If you could instantly achieve one of your long-term goals, what one would it be? Why?
- What self-taught skill have you become most proficient at?
- What encouraged you to start blogging?
- Do you feel pressure to provide regular content? Why or why not?
- Would you rather answer these questions or the ones that I answered?
- What blog do you most frequently comment on? What do you think draws you into the conversation there?
- What are your thoughts on blogs that do not offer a comments section?
- How would you describe your writing style?
- If someone came to you tomorrow with an advance to write a book of any type or subject that you would like, what would you write?
The Rules (Borrowed from Social Anemia)
- Thank the blog that nominated you and link back to them.
- Make a blog post telling 11 facts about yourself.
- Answer the 11 questions from the blog that nominated you.
- Prepare 11 questions for those you will nominate.
- Nominate 11 bloggers who have less than 200 followers by commenting on one of their blog posts.
Up to 11 blogs that I would like to nominate
I’m realizing that I don’t follow all that many blogs that fit this profile, so I will update as I become more active in finding them.