As is probably obvious by both the number and frequency of posts on this blog, it is not ever day that I have a thought that is full formed enough to write at length on. I do, however, have quite a few half formed and fleeting thoughts.
A couple of my favorite regular posts to read are “Things I Think” over at Phoenix Preacher as well as “Thursday’s Random Thoughts” over on Matt B Redmond’s blog, so I thought I might steal the concept (thus the title) to use as a brain dump, and some exercise with my writing which is still within its infancy.
- Speaking of infancy, my wife and I are expecting our first child any day now. Obviously my wife is more directly affected by the waiting that I am, but it is both a very hopeful, and a somewhat frustrating time. It brings me to mind of Advent season, which is really our life as a whole. There is a time coming that is going to change everything for us, and it’s something that we anticipate and long for, but it’s not here quite yet… so we wait.
- I started a Twitter account (@dswoager) a few weeks ago, and have found that, by and large, people use Twitter for much the same reason I wanted to… shameless self promotion (surprise). This makes me terribly behind the times, I’m sure, but I don’t think that I quite get how it works yet, though it has been surprisingly useful for supplying interesting blogs and articles.
- For someone whose book I half read, and didn’t really appreciate very much, I really enjoy a lot of what Tullian Tchividjian has to say. There are many good teachers out there, and a lot of good conversations to be had, but often his focus on grace is just refreshing.
- I stumbled into multiple conversations about baseball in the last week with people that I would generally only have Christian blogs in common with. Most people who know me even fairly well (including Google apparently) know that baseball, as a passion, is a solid number two after God and his word. Pitchers and catchers report in less than two weeks, and my neighbor and I are already back on more than a “hey, how’s it going” basis.
- When I start seeing a trend in article subjects it has a tendency to pique my interest. Last week I noticed quite a few people writing on the subject of worship music, which prompted me to write this. This past week there were a ton of articles that dealt, in one way or another, with money. I, like most people I think, hate talking about money, but if the comments sections on these articles are any indication, it’s a conversation that we need to be having.
Hopefully the next time I get around to updating this page I will have moved on to that great new role of Dad, so prayer for my wonderful wife, myself, and our as of the writing unborn daughter are greatly appreciated.