I will admit that most of the time that I write on here that I am doing so because I am grumpy about something, but that is decidedly not the case in this instance.
1. At 12:57 a.m. on February 12, 2015 my wife and I welcomed a healthy little girl into our lives. That is one of the most truly awesome things that has ever happened to me, and I suspect that I barely have any idea what I’m talking about yet.
2. If I had a hard time updating this blog before, I can only imagine what it will be like with a newborn in the house. Yes, I am actively encouraging the few people that read this blog that they might want to check it out less often.
3. I have always had a tendency to absentmindedly sing nonsense songs to myself. This has become a legitimate asset in a house with a screaming infant.
4. I took learning how to swaddle very seriously. No, really, very seriously. #babyburrito
5. I recently watched The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug. There is the scene where Bilbo is creeping around through a massive pile of treasure, aware that the slightest sound might awake a fearsome dragon, and lead to his gruesome demise. That scene has been on my mind a lot these last couple weeks.
6. One thing that my Facebook profile has taught me… people like baby pictures a lot more than they like G.K. Chesterton quotes.
7. I have had more than a couple people tell me that I am a “natural dad”. I am pretty sure that is just what people say when a guy holds the baby right side up and doesn’t drop her on the floor. If I do have any natural talent for parenting it would probably be that I revel in the opportunity to act like a kid, and being around children gives me both the opportunity and the excuse to do so.
Short and sweet. Describes both this post, and the little person that drove me to write it.